Saturday, May 28, 2011

I Hate It When People Say...

  1. “The Kids today just aren’t as smart as they used to be.”  Yeah right.  If you believe that, then you’ve forgotten what it was like when you were a student.  It’s such an overused phrase – I’m sure people have been saying that since the cavemen learned to speak.
  2. “At the end of the day…” We all know that is a figurative saying.  But the end of one person’s day is the middle of another’s.  I imagine a conservative and liberal saying “at the end of the day” and maybe they will both be right as the pendulum swings back and forth.  Overused.  I hear everyone saying it WAY too much.  From now on, I'm going to play dumb and take it literally every time I hear this. "Really? Tomorrow?"  Maybe if enough people play dumb then this hackneyed saying will die. 
  3. “World Class.”  The county where I work offers a “World Class Education.”  Then I went to GMU where they offer a “World Class Education.”  Who started it, Prince William County School District or George Mason University?  Perhaps neither because I also heard a “World Class Radio Station” and a “World Class Bakery.”  Google “World Class” and you get: coaching, gymnastics, driving, ink, beverages, paints, organization, etc
  4. “Signature.”  A restaurant’s menu claims: that’s our “signature” dish.  There are “signature” foods at supermarkets.  It’s just as bad as “World Class” when it comes to companies using it as a slogan.  Come up with something more original.
Add your least favorites here:

3 comments:

  1. I tried to drum up some interest in this post by creating a thread on authonomy's forum. It generated over a 1,000 views and over 125 replies. Check it out and report some of your favorites here:
    http://www.authonomy.com/forums/threads/77723/i-hate-it-when-people-say-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the descriptions: 'bubbly' 'fun loving' 'self starter' in job adverts. What?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Catherine, I hate them too. What about being a "people person"? What's the alternative, a people hater?

    ReplyDelete